Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore (formerly, University of Indore) was established in 1964 by an Act of Legislature of Madhya Pradesh. The University is supported by both the State Government and the University Grants Commission, New Delhi. The University has been incorporated in the Commonwealth Year Book (Volume 3, pp 1740-42, 1990). It has been bestowed with the “CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE” award by the Govt. of Madhya Pradesh. The Executive Committee of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has accredited a four star (HHHH) status to the University.
The University has twenty five University Teaching
Departments imparting education at post-graduate level in
frontline areas of Computers, IT, Engineering, Life
Sciences, Social Sciences, Education, Management, etc. It
has more than one hundred and fifty faculty members, around
four thousand students on the campus, 106 affiliated
colleges and more than one lakh ten thousand students
enrolled in all. The teaching programmes conducted in the
University Teaching Departments have a multidisciplinary
approach. The faculty is well qualified and the
infrastructure is constantly upgraded. Computer Science,
Electronics, Education, Biotechnology, Life Sciences,
Business Management, Business Economics and International
Business are typical of its high profile programmes. The
University has earned a place for itself in the country on
account of the high quality of its instructional programmes,
research, consultancy, extension activities and
The administrative block of the University is situated at Nalanda
Parisar in the heart of the city on Ravindranath Tagore Marg.
Most of the academic departments are situated at Takshashila
Parisar on Khandwa Road. The city being compact, public
transport is available most of the times from the main parts
of the city to the Academic Campus.